Friday, December 21, 2007

My Least Favorite and Favorite Trends of 2007: Part 1

There were lots of interesting trends this year, good and bad. So in the time honored tradition of the end of the year lists, here it goes.


Least Favorite

Ah...booties. They came in many variations this year, from simple ankle styles to lace-up heels. I tried on the latter earlier this year while doing some shopping for fall.

I picked out a pair of simple black suede lace-ups with a chic wooden heel. Cute, not bad, they'll go with everything. I then looked down at my feet. I had a small flashback from childhood. I felt a little old, and a little bit like...


Needlessly to say, I took them off and never looked back.

Favorite Trend of the Year


As a pear shaped girl, I've always felt a little left out of the skinny jean fun. My hips are quite something, it's the first place I gain weight, and it is where I tend to carry most of my weight. Like me, both of my Aunts are average of size, but have major hips. So straight out of the gate, I never had a chance. That never changed the fact that I so wanted to rock a pair of skinnies.

Audrey Hepburn is my ultimate style icon, and when I tried on the black "Audrey Pant" at the Gap last year, imagine my dismay that they looked like shit on me. I looked like friggin' ice cream cone. "You just need to find the right brand" I was told by encouraging friends. But alas, I said "screw this ice cream cone shit", gave up, and continued wearing bootcuts & flares (feeling a little rebellious, a little dated while doing so). Why pursue a style that made me look and feel like a frumpy 8th Grade Teacher from 1990? Isn't the epitome of chic to wear styles that are suited to you, that make you look, and feel better, prettier, and therefore confident?

That is why my favorite trend of the year is wide-legged jeans. I wasn't counting on them even making a comeback. First it was Balmain showing them in their A/W 07 collection, then the Shalom Harlow editorial in Vogue, Elle and Lucky followed and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. It sure shocked the hell out of me I'm reaping the benefits of this, more styles, and more variety over-all, a pear shape couldn't ask for anything more forgiving. Who knew? Skinny and wide jean co-existing.


4 comments:

Stitch Society said...

We're totally agreeing with that one, wide leg jeans all the way! We're sure you look fierce girl!

Anonymous said...

I think they'll be on their way "out" soon. They've been in style since '04 or '03, no?

Anonymous said...

^skinny jeans I mean, lol

Ms. Lovely said...

Aww, thank you, Stitch! I try to be FIERCE y'all! Like Jay and Tyra.

The Whit, I think skinny will stay for a while. It's a nice look and I think people are still liking the change. It's just cool that not just one style is "in". :)